Monday, April 27, 2009

an Anglewing

Hot, hot, hot, today.
I won't say how many degrees, because you would still think it ain't much.
But it is, the snow is melting, and i've been raking the leaves.
On a walk up the hill, i came upon a butterfly eating mud on the road.
It's an Anglewing for sure. A Polygonia. It could be a green comma, grey Comma or a Hoary Comma.If you look closely on the underwing bottom right of the wing (top photo) you see a little white comma, hence the name.


On top of the hill there where some beautiful singers! You think it would be easier to identify a bird, but again i need your help, I'm pretty sure it's a kind of flycatcher.

And on the hill, called crocus-hill, by me and the neighbours, (i think everybody has a crocus-hill in their neighbourhood.)
any way lots of fuzzy heads popping up, i haven't seen it bloom yet.
In this picture, you see the fuzzy heads, with last years leaves.

Our Crocus, possibly Yukoners most beloved flower, is not a true crocus. It's a pulsatilla ludoviciana, a Ranunculaceae, Crowfoot family.
called Prairie-crocus or Pasque-flower.
Most Yukoners call it: Crocus!
the red plant, a Prickly Saxifrage.
I will post it again when i get a photo of a blooming one,
last year i used the crocus as a header on my wildflower blog
see header on my yukon wildflower blog
YUKON WILDFLOWERS

3 comments:

Sue said...

I'm happy to watch your landscape bloom. It's different from mine in so many ways. The fuzzy heads are lovely, I haven't seen anything like that around here. Are they downy soft, or more prickly?

jozien said...

They're soft Sue! very much.

christopher said...

Thanks for sharing like this Jozien. I am happy to see the butterfly but amazed that a butterfly can take it this cold. Your not-Crocus looks lovely. I am especially fond of young plants. I don't think there is any such thing as a weed when it is only a day or two old.