Sunday, December 12, 2010

on how to get intimate with a cactus

Northwest of Taos, The Rio Grande
.
Plains Prickly Pear


I have seen cacti before, in Southren Alberta, and as it turns out this cactus, one of the most widespread ones of the Opuntia family, might even grow there.
I did not know that on that day when i laid down beside this cactus. First (on the day of this photo) i just take joy in seeing so many cacti (i still say cactusses). But you know me i feel more of a relationship with them if i know there name. And at the end of my trip, in Arizona, when i see yet a different Prickly Pear and i can say; hey! "stop the car, there is Santa Rita!". My heart rejoices. (She is truely beautiful, big and lovely shade of purple. I am going through my photos day by day, and i hope in the end i can show you her)
Then there is also the fact that this month i have pulled out many spines and pricklies, from fingers and feet. (Besides cacti, the whole desert is full of prickly things).
I also ate the fruits of Prickly Pears, which are very good. One can also eat the pads, but they claim to be best when newly formed in the spring.
hmmmmm i still long to know the desert better and wonder how to hug a cactus, will they ever let me?

4 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

My Mom and Dad lived in Arizona for a while and they collected all manner of cacti ... Mom has a real green thumb ... I don't!

christopher said...

If anyone can learn how to hug a cactus, you can!
Loving you.

Cicero Sings said...

Hi Jozien -- yes the stretch of highway i' referring to is the #1 north of Hope, then the #97 from Cache Creek.

The Canyon route is an interesting one -- much nicer than the Coquihalla.

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

I love all of your photos! Looks like you had a fantastic trip.

I am doing very well over here. I have been so busy sewing mittens and mukluks! The only downside to this busy holiday season is all of the food. I am up 5lbs too!