Friday, August 15, 2008

Bumble Bee


Because of all the buzz around bees, I have wanted to do a post about bees.
Well here it is.
It is a beautiful sunny morning. Still warm enough for bees to be out.(13 C.) In the Yukon it will soon be too cold. I have read somewhere that it has to 9 degrees C.
And having watched 'our' carpenter bees, that seems to be correct.
Although today I don't see a carpenter bee. We know they have a nest in the roof of our porch. They are Big! but very friendly.
This morning I am chasing bees with my camera. the first bee I find is in a patch of Fireweed, it seems easy enough to photograph(this one here). Till I come inside to watch the images. I didn't get one clear picture. Next bee I find is faster, and I can't keep up with it. I walk around the yard for a while, we have lots of Fireweed. That's where these bees love to get their nectar. And they're buzzing everywhere, but the first bee proves to have given me the best shot.

Please let me know if you know what kind of Bumble Bee this is, thanks.

1 comment:

Cicero Sings said...

Bug Guide is the place to go for bug I.D.s ... Check out this link:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/66364

Does yours fit the bill do you think?