Saturday, December 3, 2022

Balance

 A few years ago i realized that i found it difficult to stand on one leg. Since, i have, off and on, worked on my balance; by strengthening my ankles, and practicing standing on one leg at the time.

The last 10 days i have actually kept record of it, because somone, with good intentions, pointed at  vitamin B 12. Now i do not take any vitamins, am against it for my self. I am of the believe that everything i need is availble through my way of life.

You might know, which foods have B12, i never quite know such things. Anyway it turned out, these are the foods, i am not wanting to eat too much of. For example, i maybe eat a little bit  of seafood once a month, I feel our waterways are over fished as it is,  etc etc.

Where am i going with this?  First, the balance thing. I laugh when a yoga or fitness kind of teacher tries to explain how to balance better; plant your feet this way or that. For me (teachers out there!) it only works for me when i pay the least attention to what i am doing and actually focus my attention outward (often that point, of attention outward, is mentioned).

 So to really see if my vit. B12 has an effect, already becomes complicated. 

So for the record,  the last ten days i recorded: B12 intake, Are my feet tingling in the morning, How is my balance, Energy level and How long do i sleep. When i started i had been eating red meat ( B12), then i wound it down for 5 days to a minimum, (i  do take milk in my coffee) Now i am back to the red meat ( still i have to say, little bit of meat, say,  less then half a cup per day)

Anyway i am super stable these days, quite balanced.  So as it turned out in these 10 particulair days super stable too. No fluctuation according to my intake of vit B12. I sleep 9 to 10 hours every night, feel good energy all day, my toes  do tingle  everyday when i first get up. Only my balance is improving a bit,even after the 5 days of hardly any B 12 intake that i know of. I feel the improvement is  because i can do the not paying attention better.

I am sure something would show up if i continue this experiment for a long period.

Where i really wanted to go with this, We cannot know it all.   I do not expect it from myself and try not to expect it from others. If you find an error on my blog (logic, or facts, etc.), i am sorry, do point it out, if you wish. 

As i study Botany daily. I had an aha moment yesterday.  As i am studying Asters at the moment, meaning; i read what the experts have to say about which is which Aster. Something like that, i can't even explain properly what or why i am studying.  Let's not go there. 

Anyway the aha moment.   The experts doing all sort of good work, but they too just try to figure it out, the best as they can with the knowledge they have. Like I am sure all flowers in the Aster family have something in common in their DNA , for the same reason  that i can sometimes recognize a flower in the Aster family when i see one. but after that it  all  gets rather complicated. And how i see it now, for us amateurs to know the name of a flower ( and maybe for the experts too) they have to make a decision somewhere as in where to put that flower, like  in which species.

And so we do argue :)

But we will!: (come together eventually)

Symphyotrichum; all our hairy heads coming  together  ( in Greek)

Symphyotrichum is the  kind of Aster i am studiing at the moment, and if you are still interested, wikipedia describes my aha moment quite well.

Brouillet, et al. wrote:

Taxonomy of Symphyotrichum is difficult. Species are usually heterophyllous, some strongly so. Individuals in the spring, with basal rosettes, often have leaf shapes quite different from those with cauline leaves seen later in the season. Phyllary shape on first- and later-formed heads may differ. Individuals may vary considerably in plant size and array development depending upon growing conditions. The genetic diversity within each species also appears considerable.[2]

For all species in the genus, the ray florets are white, pink, blue, or purple. Disc florets are yellow to white, becoming pinkish, reddish purple, or brown when mature. There are 5 lobes on the disc florets of all species in the genus.[2]

Taxonomy[edit]

German botanist Christian Gottfried Daniel Nees von Esenbeck established this genus in 1833 because he thought that a plant he examined, now believed to be a cultivated variety of New York aster (Symphyotrichum novi-belgii), which he called Symphyotrichum unctuosum, was sufficiently distinct from the rest of the genus Aster to warrant its own genus. Nees emphasized the uniqueness of this plant in having its pappus hairs arranged in a coherent, basal ring.[4] This structure is the basis for the scientific name of this genus, which derives from Ancient Greek σύμφυσις (sýmphysis) "growing together" and θρίξ (thríksstem τριχ- trich-) "hair". However, this characteristic ring is not generally shared by most New York aster pappi, nor is it characteristic of any other plants included in the modern concept of Symphyotrichum. Regardless, according to the rules of the International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (ICN), the timing of the genus' establishment gives it precedence over other names. The genus was resurrected in 1994 by American botanist Guy L. Nesom to group together species formerly included in the genus Aster in order to make modern genera monophyletic.[5]





7 comments:

Sabine said...

My mother was a botanist and agricultural scientist and this is the stuff she would talk about when she was in good shape and her garden was too (not always).
I have been married to a biologist/botanist and very keen gardener for 40+ years and it continues, I have plant life explained to me no matter what.

As for vit B12, like you I basically ignored this stuff convinced that our food intake was all we needed. Over time I had stopped eating meat because my digestive system was acting up esp after red meat. I stopped slowly, still eating a bit here and there, some fish occasionally. Until one day, eventually, maybe two/three years in, I felt exhausted most of the time, shaky, worn out, with headaches and strange pale skin that bruised easily. Turns out, my vit B12 storage was empty, because almost no meat, no eggs (cannot digest) and very little milk/cheese (don't like). It took a couple of months of supplementing and now I take that little pill every couple of days. Some things just have to be accepted.

jozien said...

It is so neat to have met you here Sabine, so much in common.
Thanks you for the B12 information, as i can eat all those things, i will do some research as in how much i need, like you say to keep the storage full.

jozien said...

I checked the Internet, and i realize that on those 5 days i probably did not get enough vit. B 12 daily value. Yet what is normal for me these days, i am borderline meeting my needs. BUT! as most winters, we often do get some bison heart or liver from hunters. I love heart and liver. And it sounds like both are very high in vitamin B12. So i am good!

Art said...

the top blog photo is wonderful

jozien said...

Thank you Art!

MFH said...

One has to be wary of the allopathic community. They do a splendid job of removing parts: gall bladders, appendixes, tonsils, but it took decades for them to lower the thyroid marker from 7 to 5. There was a book written 30 years ago that described people having symptoms -- fatigue, weight gain -- with a marker of 1.5.

My grandmother got a B12 shot in her thigh once a month. Over the course of the 4th week her demeanor and physical ability would significantly deteriorate. The change, after her shot and ocurring over the following 24 hours, was phenomenal. She once again became lucid, vibrant and ready to visit with the family. She was then around age 70.

At some point B12 shots were shown to be unhelpful and were phased out. I wasn't privy to my grandmother's care in her later years -- she died at age 95 -- but I suspect, with my mother's support, she continued to have the shots.

My grandmother had a good diet and ate all the things listed as containing/providing B12. But I doubt you can find an allopathic physician who'd prescribe injectible B12.

jozien said...

Yes very interseting! thanks for sharing