Tuesday, December 20, 2022

minus 47 Celsius

 Right now  at sunrise, it is the lowest temperature this week at my house. Away from the house that is.

So we did go for our first walk already. This temperature makes for busy days. The power was out a few days ago, that slows it down a bit,  because there is much less one can do without power. I do love it.

 So let me describe a bit, our lovely bright sunny days in the deep freeze.

I wake up all snug as bug in my bed, and my first joy, as always when i realize i am alive right here and now.  I learned that from Pema Chodron, to give myself a compliment that i am aware of the moment here and now, and that always makes for a smile on my face, when i do remember.

Don (husband) has been stoking the wood stove all night (i think he gets up twice) very grateful i am.

 I meditate  the first half hour.

I did not do my exercise this morning as i am too eager to get up, to see the thermometer. -45C

when we are having power (electricity)

We listen to the radio , Buckshot Betty came on this morning, i think she had -57 C at her house in Beaver Creek YT. Local  temperatures always seem lower then the ones recorded. 

Yesterday we believed the weather man, he always says something like the cold will only be short lived, we kind of doubt him, because we have lived here a while.... he was wrong :) sorry.

I make coffee,  I could use the woodstove, but my cooking stove is propane without an electric starter. A few days ago we wrapped up the propane bottle in a few sleeping bags.

I let the water run hot ( collecting the water always we haul our own so waste none) so the pipes warm up.

Before the cold snap we hauled both drinking water and water for the holding tank system. When it did get cold, i made sure all the pipes were exposed, not hidden behind cupboards and all. as they will draw in the cold. through well insulated walls.

Don keeps hauling in wood. stoking the fire.

I use the outhouse in the morning , a ritual, as we do have  plumbing, but i like the adventure of it, many glories always. But these days i do dress for it, a minimum of two layers.

I make breakfast.

I check my email and all, i have been busy with inaturalist lately, it seems with the cold everybody is reviewing stuff.

 i make a phone call.

 And finally we get dressed for our morning walk, hurray!

In the house i wear pants , long johns, a wool undershirt a t-shirt, a top and a sweater, wool socks.

For outside i added today two pairs of snow pants, haha i like to be warm, a  big down coat, a double layered toque, a scarve, gloves, liners and bison mitts.

ok it is lunch time, thanks for reading this far,  but i gotta go now  make lunch.




3 comments:

roselle said...

Jozien

I have just read your most recent blog - we have much in common, but you are much more courageous than me! We live simply (but not that simply), and when it's -10ºC I feel very cold, but you're speaking of 47º!

I love your description of your day, and your positivity.

Thank you and solstice blessings

Roselle

roselle said...

... I mean –47º!

Eileen T said...

Minus 47 degrees C ... that is cold! I can't even begin to image how cold that feels. We only went down to minus 4 degrees C and that was cold enough for me!