Wednesday, December 28, 2022

dangerously cold weather

 I wish everybody a warm safe home.

 But am wondering what your approach is to it all. Do you go out no matter what, knowing you are safe no matter what. Relying on your own resources, or putting your safety in other hands. I am sure there is a bit of both always. But for me no i did not  rely on roads and all to be safe. and stayed away from travel in a vehicle, till yesterday when it warmed up considerably and not much snow here.

Also for the house it self, it baffles me that  even people in the Yukon here  there are  people  that have no back up plan for heat when there is a power outage. And i am not talking about marginal people, I am talking about people with secure incomes.

I am very blessed to live in the country were there is a lot  of safety provided by the government. But let's not forget that that always can only go so far. And  shouldn't we always have some sense of self reliability were we can.

We did have a most lovely X-mas celebration yesterday, it felt odd to do it after Christmas, but as soon as we all arrived we were totally in the groove.

Thankful for good friends.

4 comments:

Gardens at Waters East said...

When people are not prepared, like for the cold or snow, I am surprised. To me that is rather foolish. You not only out yourself in danger but you also put others in danger especially when driving in the snow. It is not silly. It is STUPID.

Bless said...

I'm glad you were able to celebrate Christmas, even if it was after the actual day.
It's always good to be prepared for bad weather, power outages, etc. It doesn't get cold enough to snow where I live, but, we do have earthquakes, so that's what I try to prepare for - sufficient water and food for several days, a way to manage if sewer services are out of order, plenty of flashlights and batteries for when the power goes off, etc.

jozien said...

Thank you! yes maybe/probably most people are common sense and prepared. I find it interesting that i still fall for the media, who has in my opinion always given a voice to the... not so fortunate really, but people who feel they have been badly done to. Which is in essence a good thing, but if you blame the government for not clearing the roads properly, while you had the choice to wait a few days to get on that road...

Eileen T said...

We don't experience the severe weather conditions where I live but I do prepare for power cuts by keeping a supply of candles and batteries for the torches as well as extra food in stock at this time of year. We rarely get heavy snow where I live and I stay at home on the odd occasion we do get bad weather.

Glad to hear that you were able to celebrate Christmas even if later than expected. xx