Thursday, December 15, 2022

protected land

 I have said before that i do have radio rage. Not so much rage really but exasperation for sure. 

On the Yukon news these days, it says 25 % of the Yukon will be protected, going as far as 30 %. Which to me is kind of a joke. I calculated recently that very roughly 90% of the Yukon is still wild. ( to me that means if we protect 30% we can still trash the remaining 30?) It is an  honorable  idea of course to protect, in a certain way. But to me  it is not.

I living 70 km from a store, have  an incredible amount of highway just build for me, i am not proud of that.  I am sharing it with others but i would love to see a calculation how many meters per person that uses that road. I do even live  kind of at the end of the road in my neighbourhood, which means  that truly the government maintains  half a kilometer just for me and my husband, so we can walk by the neighbour's dog i suppose.

And yes i do not believe tourism is the answer, to me that is super stupid. So now we have parks  so rich people from the other side of the globe can  come to us and enjoy our protected land? you do know , these tourist they are not walking over, you know what i am saying. And also with all our protected land, all our excess must come from very far, being flown or trucked in. 

But all is well intended and the answer comes in many forms, and this might be one of them

To me one answer lays in self-sufficiency. For Christmas gifts i am making handkerchiefs from a cotton blouse, that nobody was planning to wear. And  i bought stuff at The Yukon Refillery, it is a surprise. But things to eliminate the use of plastic, some of it Yukon made.

And for  a christmas supper we are going to, i will bring a wild pie, made of  90%  gathered ingredients.

That is the little bit  i can do, and i am always trying for more. More JOY i call it.

 And if i was the president, haha, i know... lets not go there, but if you ask, i will tell you .

3 comments:

Bless said...

It is a compromise, isn't it? Maybe it is better to have 30% of the wilderness areas protected as opposed to none? Maybe more area to be protected isn't politically and economically feasible? It is good that you are making your own gifts and foraging the ingredients for the pie you will be taking to your dinner. If we all do what we can to keep our footprints small, then, hopefully, it will make a difference. :)

Eileen T said...

It's good to hear that there are still plans in place to protect that 30% considering the economic issues the entire world is facing. Tourism is one partial solution as that brings money and employment but the impact on the wilderness itself cannot be underestimated. It's a difficult one and there isn't a 'one size fits all' solution ... some will be happy with the proposals and some won't.

I'm interested in your pie. Which foraged ingredients did you use please?

jozien said...

The pie dough will be made from a kind of buck wheat flour, ground Rumex seeds, and ground white spruce cambium, (and i will probably add ground orange peel, which is not wild, but maybe it is kind of wild that i eat my orange peels). I will use butter not wild, maybe i can use the cream of the local milk? The berry filling will be a mixture of berries, (raspberry, saskatoon, cranberries. As i do not name anything in my freezer i hope i can come upon the saskatoons, they are the only sweet berry i can pick around here in the wild. So i also will add honey, which is not wild. I think that is it, something like that.

And yes the 30 % is probably good in a certain way, but it can't come alone. Thank you two for commenting, i am trying....