Sunday, June 28, 2009

Screaming birds

In my most beautiful yard, my lawn is a meadow full of flowers, beside it where the outhouse is, a big patch of the wild roses and in the 50 feet high poplars that contain this area, mmmmmm The Western Wood-Pewee is occupying her nest again in a high branch right in front of my open outhouse.
Last year i posted many photos of a successful nest.

And of course first thing after being back, i wanted to see how the swans are doing.
The new ones, in that most secretive, but really easily accessible spot.
For you Dutch people all this not so interesting as i have seen several swans with young last week, from a few meters distance.
Here the birds not always so open to strangers. Count out the Gray Jays, a dark young bird talked to me this morning, while hanging up laundry.

Anyway yesterday i tried to approach the area unseen. Not so easy. soon enough everybody is screaming at me and the swans wondering what's going on.
The Red-winged Blackbird, alternately screams and sings his song, flying frantically from tree top to treetop above the willow thicket. And flying towards me trying to scare me off.
The Red-necked Phalaropes, fly like jet-fighters around me. Did they make a sound? i forgot what. There seem to be many of them, some quietly swimming, see picture below.
Ahh and there's the Swans.
3 cygnets and obviously enough water to raise them. ahhh i am happy for them.
They notice my presence and swim off, so do other ducks.



In my wild flower blog i will mention all the new flowers i encounter. I did at the moment of walking among them, feel quite at loss, not wanting to identify them, but just enjoy them.
Ah, but they got the better of me (how do you say that?)
And i do know some of there names now. I even encountered a dandelion!
Ahhh a native species that is, very exciting, i am not kidding.

I gotta go.
See you shortly Robyn!
Happy birthday.

3 comments:

gfid said...

as i'm now living in the city, it's a great pleasure to visit your place, and enjoy the wildlife and flowers. thanks very much.

christopher said...

The swans are better in the wild and so are you, I think.

Anonymous said...

IK ZAG VANDAAG OOK ZWANEN MET JONGEN / 6 STUKS / ZE PEDDELDE OP NOG GEEN METER BIJ ME LANGS / ZE ZIJN MENSEN GEWENT, MAAR HOUDEN JE GOED IN DE GATEN EN VERDEDIGEN HUN KROOST MET VUUR. NIET NODIG HOOR IK BEN LIEF VOOR ZE / HET BLIJVEN PRACHTIGE, MACHTIGE VOGELS

WILLEM