Tuesday, April 18, 2023

The Joys of Snow

 When temperatures here are around zero Celsius, Don and i every morning sit in our outdoor porch after our walk. This morning we had fun watching and listening to  the snow sliding of the roof. plop, plop, plop. 10 cm of snow had fallen last night and of and on it is still snowing, not adding  too much because it is very wet snow. The snow sliding of the roof, now a big pile all along the front of the house where i walk to the outhouse,  it is  now full of snow.  Lately I had spend two weeks clearing the ice that forms there. I fear this pile might turn ice too. The weather forecast is not very promising.

We only walked the  length of the driveway, making a trench as we went. After lunch I went our normal distance. Nobody had travelled the road yet for the first half km. We have only one neighbour past us, them being at the end of the road. The neighbour down from us, I saw he had left with a vehicle. On 511 there is a road advisory from here on to Haines jct. and a ways  beyond there.

With my friend Cindy i planned to look for crocuses  today, coming up on a hill along the Kusawa road, Don and i had driven down that road on Sunday, and with the jeep the road was driveable, this is a minimally maintained road. It had lots of puddles and mud a week earlier. I can not imagine how it will look after this snowfall. People do live there and they do most of the maintenance 25 km of it.

I will leave a picture here  of a good spot on the road from Sunday.  I will leave that picture because! we saw 3 caribou, this is the first time we actually saw caribou on that road, we have know  that for several years now  they do cross that road, so it was exciting finally seeing them.

And after  writing this post I am happy to not do an afternoon outing just for today, but spend it on all my projects for the expected baby. I am painting old baby stuff, that i salvaged 30+ years ago for my son, it is getting a new life again. I do wonder about the paint.  Many questions, but one logistic;  what do people do with the water you wash your brushes in? I am horrified to throw in the forest and will not! flush it through the drain.



1 comment:

Bless said...

Lovely picture with the caribou in the distance.