Sunday, April 30, 2023

20/80 rule

 To me there is something about 20/80. And when i googled it, i read there is  the Pareto Principle. Cool!

The other day walking through the forest on snow,  the 80 percent thing came to me as in; if i stay on top for 8 steps and fall through the snow  two steps, i can still have an enjoyable walk.  But really i think the Pareto Principal doesn't apply here.

This morning i wondered if it applied to life in general.  In my morning meditation felt kind of down, because I had a whole list of beings and people that  I felt needed a little extra. So i devoted my whole meditation to that.

I did come out at a difficult spot, a time in  my childhood when i just was not happy. That one never gets easy. I try to apply the 20/80 rule. Now in my life i can happily say i am probably 80 % of the time happy. Or i have a good life, but of course there still might be 20% problematic things. But in that time  in childhood i feel i was 80% unhappy, but  still had many moments of happiness, probably also 80%.

Haha i realize i am dividing again, judging maybe.  Why? Yesterday was such a beautiful day, looking at the mountains they look 100 % gorgeous. Yet  I always feel pain looking at the mountains, because i want to be on top of them. I will recognize that feeling, but then realize i am on top of the mountain! I am right here, and quite literally so. I grew up below sea level, now i live at 725 meters above sea level. That is a mountain!

My meditation went well,  I came away with that feeling of just happy to be alive, thanks to sending love to a friend who .... is really crawling out of a what is considered very bad situation. She is just happy to wake up alive, nothing else is needed.

Ha! and here my pitiful account of being thrown back into 'my' pitiful bad spot ( sure related to that childhood . For today i had a date to go walking, a bioblitz event. Yes maybe you are part of it, it is the -city challenge- today! To see what is alive in your city, all over the world. I had planned to go to what i call a good friend, who lives  in the area included for Whitehorse. They cancelled, with some kind of lame story. With my dear husband we do discuss this and always will come out ok. But let me say it, i am pissed of, because their excuse for cancelling just doesn't add up, even if it is 80% true


haha my dear husband calls me for my walk, if he only is the instigator for 20% of the time i am happy! And he is.

Do check out the city challenge https://inaturalist.ca/projects/city-nature-challenge-canada-2023-defi-nature-urbaine

even if one of you reading this participates, i am very happy:) even if you don't,  still happy.

How is your happiness quotient? 

3 comments:

Bless said...

The Pareto Principle is often applied to decluttering, especially when it comes to decluttering closets ("we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time; declutter the 80% that is worn only 20% of the time", etc.) I know this is true for me when it comes to dishes/dinnerware. I probably use 10% of my plates, etc. 98% of the time! The remaining items are used only at Christmas or special sit down meals!

I'm sorry your friends cancelled plans to go with you and you were disappointed; I hope you will still be able to go on the search for what is alive in your city, today.

Live and Learn said...

Those are the kinds of games I play with my thoughts. It could be this way, but I can also see it this other way. I'm just happy that my walks don't involve falling through the snow at this point. :)

jozien said...

yes! i see, about the decluttering, thanks, i can use that:)
And Live and learn, i like it how you call it play games with thoughts. I guess i do that a lot.
And No i did not go towards the city, i went to the lake and found! flowers almost blooming. i should post:)