Thursday, February 8, 2024

niksen

 Of course i like the word 'niksen'. A dutch word, meaning; doing nothing.

I like i because i would say 'niksen' is a very environmentally friendly activity. No energy or resource being used.

The word 'niksen' has been popping up, and as i have grown up in the netherlands, friends here in Canada will send me articles.

Note i am no expert on anything dutch, I  grew up there, but are more of a Mendenhalite  (lived for almost 30 years in the mendenhall subdivision.) and i have learned not to generalize behavior.

My experience with niksen, is just that, 'my' experience. Not even my brother's ( I will ask him).

Yes, i grew up with the word. Despite my  slightly calvinistic upbringing, niksen  was  somewhat allowed. For sure, niksen was done on a regular base.  If I had to do my home work, or housework, it was ok to be found doing nothing, but ' you better get on with it attidtude was expressed.

I think it was most allowed for old people,

I suppose even my 'oma' was never truly doing 'niksen' she would be sitting  seemingly doing nothing, but she would be sitting on a handkerchief to iron it, not having to use an iron.

Also what comes to mind  is what the word is not; 

to me it is not meditating ( yet it occurs to me that is the best form of meditation, because  you truely do nothing, no judgements .

it is not  sitting perse,  not enjoying, it is not sulking, it is not relaxing.

To me it is more to be in limbo.  but to be ok with that, not frantically trying to figure out what to do next.

I wonder what your experience is with this word, do you have a Dutch background, or have you read about it?

I am glad that i grew up with it. As I am waiting for daylight, i will do a bit of it after i post this, and know from now on i will miss the morning darkness which is soon to be over for next half year.

haha Don is calling me for a game of trionimos




4 comments:

Live and Learn said...

I am not Dutch, so niksen is a new word for me. I like it. You have described well how many different ways one can do nothing. It's an interesting concept.

jozien said...

Yes thank you, i will at some point do a second post, more thing occured to me:)

Bless said...

It's a new word for me, too, and I'm not Dutch, but, parts of my birth country was occupied by the Dutch at one time and there is a whole ethnic minority who identify themselves as "Dutch Burghers" and my maternal grandmother was one of them. I think, given half the chance, I could do "niksen" very well! So, the next time I just sit and daydream, I won't chide myself for being idle and non-productive! I shall tell myself that I am engaging in niksen! :D

jozien said...

yes! that is great Bless:)