Thursday, January 20, 2022

As i am still reading Proust, Swann's Way

 "going back in memory, i pass from the Swann whom i knew later and more intimately to this early Swann"

 What i think Proust is talking about, is that we all see people, through our own colored glasses of that moment in time. I like this concept a lot. Proust being who he was, seemingly quite aware of this phenomena. 

" none of us can be said to constitute  a material whole, which is identical for everyone"

I am  not so much aware of this, but are sometimes struck by such reality. Sitting here at the computer, looking out of the window at the trees.  I know trees not people, but i think , what Proust was talking about can be said for everything , things, trees, people etc.

I have lived here 25 years, and I have looked at those trees, yes, for 25 years. Most often i am not aware of the fact they they have changed. And also  the fact that now i see them through  glasses wherin i know which  genus and even which species and what makes them that species. Also i see that those particulair ones i am now looking do not have the turned down needles. I will spot a Spruce with turned down needles immedeatly. I am sure 25 years ago, i had little knowledge of yukon trees.

You might have no idea what i am talking about with the needles turned down, but i am sure you have your own examples.. of oddities that stand out for you.

But the crazy thing looking at thes trees out front here, i really have to dig into my memory for how they looked 25 years ago, i will tell you i know the forest was quite different. Still it is quite hard for me to remember how i saw them back then. I can picture the smallnes and fragility of two individuels, but not of the group as a whole (dozens of trees)

Coming from another angle, now with people, i love it when i meet someone i haven't seen for lets say 25 years, and at first  that image i had of them is shattered, like omg that person looks old! yet when carrying on a conversation with them, that image as quite fast replaced by the one how i see them now, and believe it or not, but for me then they look younger again, they look so much as how i have always seen them.

Bla! You think i am fooling myself?


No comments: