Sunday, November 20, 2022

The joy of eating healthy

 it is hard! Of course there are direct and indirect joys; the taste, the preparing, etc and indirect; mother nature's joy and my health. etc 

But i still find it hard.  I do think the Internet does do a good job of pointing out what is proven to be healthy. 

What i like to follow is the  1/2 vegies/fruit, 1/4 grains, 1/4 protein rich foods. the poster we see everywhere. Also the 20/80 rule sounds good to me, like 2 cups of coffee, 8 cups of water.  I consider coffee not healthy and water healthy.

Also i eat a minimum of store bought meats, processed foods and no added sugar in general. oh and a minimum of alcoholic beverages. which all  for me would fall in the 20%. Opposed to healthy foods in the 80%

And as you know i love eating wild foods, daily. They go into the 80% even if not proven ..anything, like many mushrooms that i pick.

I have come a long way, and the joy of it is that i do not miss  sugar for example.

But this morning i tried to make breakfast according to the poster  which for me does not contain  protein rich foods, which to me is ok, because i will catch up later that day. I snack a lot on nuts.

Yesterday we cut down on the grains a lot, after i realized my breakfast often is half grains.  as the grain and protein part is easily filled, i added a big glass of orange juice. and halved the amount of oats.

hmmm ten minutes later i was eating a  slice of bread, whole wheat  and all yes, but still i need those oats, or so it seems. I saw my husband take a big chunk of cheese shortly after. So that did not work.

Is there people out there who do manage to  eat half of the food consumed per day being fruit and vegetables? Maybe you who live in southern climates and have banana trees growing wild in the yard? ( Do banana trees grow wild i wonder now, or is it a typical manmade food like corn.)

So that does make me wonder about living in the north, which  is an point often made here, that we need our wild meat.

Blessed, we did receive some from a neighbour recently. Thank you!








10 comments:

Sabine said...


We are lucky, we grow a lot of our fruit and veg and have the freezer chock full right now with berries and beans and stuff and a larder in the basement with apples and applesauce and potatoes and so on. And all winter we will harvest different brassica and lamb's lettuce and spinach leaf and co. from the greenhouse.

We only have three rules: keep it seasonal, non processed and don't waste food. In this household, we love to cook.

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis almost 20 years ago, it was pretty heavy at the time. I cannot digest fatty foods and anything that takes its time digesting can be awful, so no meat, no greasy stuff, no pancakes, no fried food, fat dairy and nuts in moderation. My staples are veg, lentils, bread, fruit and some dairy like yogurt or ricotta. I am a fan of porridge anytime anywhere and after that anything Italian, Greek, the whole Mediterranean (vegetarian) shebang.

jozien said...

Thanks Sabine, reading your comment i think it comes down to enjoying the whole process; from acquiring our food to actually eating it. And i like your 3 rules!

MFH said...

I go through phases. I just came through a skinless-boneless (canned) sardines and smoked oysters phase. They, thephases, seem to last about three months. I'm trying to eat better and for me that seems to be meat & potatoes.

I'm cooking on a small back-packing stove which just boiled over extinguishing the flame. Tonight I'm making noodles topped with a can of cream of celery. I doubt the cream of celery adds much nutritional value, but it helps with the flavor.

I've been eating beef tartare about every three or four days and some kind of pork chop in between. Boiled eggs and a sip of Bay Bridge Moscato (wine) are breakfast with after-breakfast-coffee to get the day off to a start.

Potatoes & smoked herring (canned) with a can of mixed vegetables (ugh!) every now and then cobstitute lunch. Pecans and apples for snackd.

God only knows how healthy it all is. The last phase included orange slices, gummy worms, jelly beans and circus peanuts. I think I gained another ten pounds. My chest would now look good on a 20-year-old woman. But I enjoyed it and look back on it with fond memories.

MFH said...

Oh, I forgot. This phase is all about refried beans.

Last time I went through it, I was nearly asphyxiated by the flatulence. Something changed in my metabolism and this time it's endurable. Plus, now that the temperatures have dropped there aren't as many night-time bugs and I can leave a window open.

jozien said...

If you are interested i can make some suggestions. lol

jozien said...

for MFH's sake, i do want to say, i have an old friend, your age, who says she is healthy and fit, when she lived here in the Yukon i knew her to be somewhat nomadic and only eating peanut butter sandwiches. It obviously worked for her.

MFH said...

Yes, please.

A person can eat nothing but peanut butter sandwiches if they get enough exercise. I'm not able to and am further challenged by insatiable hunger in the evenings.

jozien said...

Are you still eating prickly pear fruits? You living nomadic, have an incredible opportunity to eat wild foods.
and the pinyon pine nuts? I chew spruce gum daily, have you tried pine resin? it is a bit of a skill to have it not stick to your teeth.
Do you recognize wild onions? they probably flavor your food quite nicely.
I also use Artemisia in cooking, it takes a bit of getting used to the flavor.
Do you like brown rice, or barley? Do you know you only have to bring those to a boil and then leave in your sleeping bag for an hour. I think pre soaking helps too. It all helps when cooking on a little camping stove.

ha have fun!

MFH said...

Yes, I have a mouthful of spines from the prickly pear fruits. Fortunately, there's no one at risk of being cunnilinged.

MFH said...

Tonight for dinner I had four slices of bread. On half of each one I put a wad of canned refried beans and folded the other half on top. Two hours later, I had the same thing for dessert.

I have some potatoes I need to boil. Two days ago, or maybe three, I was at an elevation of 747 ft above sea level. I had more energy but it was cold. I came south where it's warmer, but the elevation of 2400 feet saps my energy. My heart is too weak to supply enough oxygen to my body, but I'm warmer. I hope I'll have the energy to boil the potatoes tomorrow. My guess is that'll be all I'll get done.

There's an intermittant pain in my chest that worries me. Will I die tonight?

I hope you're still in good health ten years from now.