Friday, November 4, 2022

Happiness is

 getting two comments on yesterday's post.

glee.

hmmm so what to write about today? For me at the moment that question means, which one idea out of many ideas i choose for today, and try to stay on topic, not to put them all together in these few paragraphs per day.

I choose to go with Holly's comment.

Holly, and many others before you, I do have to contradict to you here about our short days in the Yukon. I believe i have written publicly about this before, but that for sure is years ago, as i have not been writing really for years.

So here one more time, and hopefully with a different twist. The twist, as to have some continuation in my writing these days as a whole,  how we can change happily.

yes, this morning i cannot see my 'new' view (3 trees gone) till somewhere around 9 am. In the evening it gets dark somewhere around 7 pm ( yes i know, the way they set time in the Yukon is absurd, we are two hours of  from midday at noon, i think our midday is at two pm) but i am happy to not have a time change anymore. 

I see that Wyoming is indeed far south from me here, but it is populated quite similar as the Yukon. So i assume many people do live rural as i do. And i assume that there are many neighbourhoods like mine that are sparsely lighted, or maybe not at all.

On wednesday evening  i go to yoga, in the neighbourhood! which is amazing in it's own. I bike or walk over, which is about 7 months out of the year in the dark. But i tell you it is not that dark, most of the time.

Last wednesday the moon was out. (And there is a bit of, be careful to do as i do, my choices not always safe for everybody.) As it is a half hour bike ride up hill going home, i was past by two cars, which i feel due to the bright moonlight i did not notice right away, and had to make a dash for the ditch.  Having grown up in Holland, bike riding comes natural. and for me there is no problem making a dash like that.

I do wear some reflective material, but no light. And nothing to do with  light, i also do not have fat tires! In town i would say a light is essential, but fat tires NO! that to me is a fad, sorry) But here i feel i see more when having no light.

Even when there is no moon, the snow is super reflective, Biking, i easily see the sides of the road when riding, as dark lines. 

 And to read a lovelier account of being in the so called dark, which is not dark at all, is the book 'the outermost house' the writer speaks most wonderful about being out at night.

Anyway when waking up this morning in the dark, i was meditating the joy of the sun. the gift everyday of light.

So i do get it when people fear our lack of sunlight in winter. But like two comments give me  happiness , maybe you all  have to get  at least 3 to  feel you did an okay job. ( glee again, the loveliness of it all, how it is not really in the numbers or the amounts)

I am happy with white snow, when the sun is not up. And very happy when in December it will be up for a mere 3 hours, the joy of it!



 :





3 comments:

Sabine said...

I love cycling in the dark provided I am away from cars and city traffic and city lights. A large section of my cycling commute, 12 km each way, to/from work is through a dense forest, no through roads, no cars. I was attacked only once and that from an AWOL patient from the psychiatric ward (my workplace is the university clinic campus). I think the patient was more frightened than I was, ran screaming.
But I really do not enjoy cycling in the dark with snow and ice. I am too impatient to get off and walk.

jozien said...

Yes, that sounds great cycling to work that way, that is wonderful. So even without the snow you see the path in front of you?

Sabine said...

Only on a clear night when the moon is up. But I do have good lights on my bicycle.Too risky otherwise.