Monday, November 28, 2022

Lost

 Nature always provides great methaphors, for life in general, for me. Like the hiking might be hard, long whatever, but the rewards, even in that moment of exhaustion, always incredible. And so when i find myself in a rough spot in life, i just stand still for a moment and... smell the roses so to speak. An idiom like this, reminds me, that thing about nature; being a good methaphor, was/is always known.

So the other day, I was not so much lost, but had completely turned around, and ended up  south-west of the house instead of  south-east.

Right outside of my house is  an aproxx. 300 acres of forest, bordered by the neigbourhood (east), highway (south), firesmart (west) and powerline (north). So all these borders give it quite a bit of security to not ever get lost for long.

So when coming out on the firesmart corridor, we laughed heartily.  And looped back over a beautiful ridge along the highway to come out were we intended to go. We did run into Elk several times, they like that ridge above the highway.

Yesterday, i went in there with the compass again. And came upon our own tracks,  one set of Lynx tracks, and lots of Elk tracks towards the end close to the ridge.

 After 25 years, how blessed I am to still have a forest close-by to get lost in.

And how does that translate into real life?





8 comments:

MFH said...

In my youth I used to wander and always found my way back. At some point that changed and after being lost, fortunately only for a short time, I now take my gps with me, even for short trips.

It's embarrassing, but I've read about other people, much more experienced tha me, getting lost. I don't like it...there's the threat of death.

And though we all know that someday we must die, nearly every living thing flees the threat of death. It is only when it comes naturally, hopefully painlessly, that my cat curled up on the pillow between Michelle's and my head and didn't wake up.

And you? Have you ever felt that fear?

jozien said...

Did i tell you the story about the truck in our yard? How scared we were, how we did phone the police. It is always good to see for me that i do have more fears then i know.

MFH said...

No, you didn't tell me. What happened?

jozien said...

Late one eveing someone drove into our yard and parked, but never came out. Our drive way looks like a road, so it does happen, that people by accident drive in. but they will then drive out. Not this person, he stayed in his car though and had a nap. Once we got over our fear my husband (not me :) woke him up and he drove away. But we were both surprised how afraid we were, when no one came out of that car.

MFH said...

What were your fears?

jozien said...

Like red flashing lights; danger, danger. In this case an imagined fear, as we were never in any kind of danger. What i was thinking; is he here to steal stuff? is he going to hurt us when we step out. (we did not even know if it was a he or she, there you go, predjudice was part of it too.) The fear was visceral.

MFH said...

WOW!!!

I had a similar experience in Idaho during day. Very strange.

Have you done anything to discourage further incidents? Such as put up NO TRESSPASS signs.

jozien said...

no, no probably never. Next time if it ever happens i will offer the person a coffee, so he/she can safely proceed.