Monday, January 9, 2023

electricity

 I think I have mentioned before that our electricity bill is   approx. 40 dollars per month. I do feel it gives us a lot of luxury.

Is going electric the answer?

To me NOT when as a society we do not curb our use. I can only imagine all the problems when we all go electric.

Last night we watched a movie, the Little Pink House, i can recommend it. It is about people being evicted from their own houses, for Pfizer, who is now long gone from the site, it didn't work out for them there. 

But it made me think of something  i had seen this summer, My husband and i drove through Hudson's Hope,   I loved Hudson's Hope and that whole area there, i had never been there.

To see humongous structures being build, you can't think; oh this is a very green/clean solution. I don't know how anyone can.

Last night after the movie, i googled for the website of the Site-C dam there,  It is  saying -clean energy-, with a photo of a big bulldozer. Like are you kidding me, clean energy?

It breaks my heart even for the land altered, animals displaced and the people forced to move out, just so society can run wild,  other people (like in the movie, not those that had their houses destroyed) can sit in their houses, and demand everything at their fingertips.

And now the talk about fusion, very scary to me.  Nothing that i google, depicts a harmonious life, One with nature.

And we do need nature, we are nature. If we destroy it for advancement, of whom, you might ask, we ultimately destroy ourselves.

What is the answer for you?

 For me,  for today i will  go cut wood with my neighbour. Wood still the best answer for heating our houses. I can walk (40 min) to the site we picked, yes, we do use a chainsaw,  we take dead trees in the mature forest, but not all of them, we are leaving the mother trees, as we call them, for the woodpeckers and all.

 My answer may seem impossible for you, far fetched, but i am sure there is something little you can do.

I do believe every little bit helps.

 








4 comments:

Sabine said...

We have been using solar energy for almost 20 years now. Initially we just used it to heat the water but eventually we got our shit together and basically covered the entire roof with pv panels and installed a battery for storage in the basement. It's nothing big and we are in central Europe with plenty of trees around us but we have enough, most days produce a surplus which we feed into the grid and get payed for. It doesn't have to be bright sunny days, the sun shines daily even with cloud cover. The most amazing thing, it's free, the sun doesn't charge you a penny. Apart from installed the stuff, there is no extra cost. Throughout the day, this feeds all our electricity needs. Most of the night too.

We also use wood pellets for heating. I have mixed feelings about it because it's hard to source pellets that come from sawmill waste and not from cutting down virgin forests elsewhere (and shipped halfway around the globe). But better than the oil fired furnace we got rid off.

jozien said...

Right on Sabine! That is what works for you there. I will make a post about my wood, which does not work so easy on a larger scale. Are most businesses and government buildings in your area also on solar i wonder? That to me could be a good indication that it works on a larger scale over there. Here I do not see that, neither for wood nor solar. For solar our sun is all winter on such a low angle, that could be the problem, although our city where most businesses and government buildings are is in a sunny location. But even there this low sun only being up 4 hours or so this time of year.

Bless said...

I think I would find it difficult to live without electricity. I've got so used to it. I do think that solar energy and wind energy are good sources of energy, but, I haven't installed solar panels etc. in my house. At least, not yet.

MFH said...

I am seeing more and more LARGE areas of solar panels in the western states most of which are quite far from developed areas.

I too am saddened at the building of dams. The most obvious solution is to lower the population but nobody seems jto think that means THEM. You're a grandmother now aren't you?