Saturday, June 3, 2023

sustainable living

 To me, that we have to live with less is clear,  and i like to say;   when we live with less, we get  more,   more living to do.

Today i biked over to the AGM in our neighbourhood,  (biked with a peddle bike.)

I brought a cloth napkin, to receive the food that would be offered. 

 But the group of neighbours that  I sat close to, and socialized with before and after the meeting, they all impressed me with their travel habits.  It show me again that  we neighbours are kindred spirits, we all live here in this faraway neighbourhood, because we have  at least some similar values.

 I was telling them i was travelling next week for a few days to Pemberton BC, we laughed at the horrendousness of what one neighbour called; using an airplane as a taxi service. We all got it. People here in the Yukon are in general, if i may say  quite rich, and do  seem to use airplanes as a taxi service. But not so some of my neighbours as it turned out. K had not been flying for a long time, his grandchildren are far away but driving  to see them is possible. H has his parents in Europe and will go down there this year first time in 6 years. and E did recently take a plane ride to go to a meeting for work but had not travelled by plane since 2018 or so.

 Still we here in the Yukon, this might be much more air travel we do then people in your neck of the woods. I at least was impressed.

And that  is it, we all have to do what we can. But i do hope we all make a change, because to keep living the way we do up till now is not sustainable.

And what about the living more you might ask; as i biked back i came upon an elk, i took my bike  home and ventured in the woods where i had seen it. I  heard them call and grunt, and found the area where they have frequented lately by their prints in the moss, and from there i let them be. I always wanting to see the wildlife but not wanting to disturb them too much. Don and i had seen their prints on the dusty drive way for several days now, so it was nice to finally meet them, all for free, no airplane needed.






4 comments:

Sabine said...

How lucky you are to live in a place where you can encounter an elk!
We found a badger below our garden, a long way from the forest but he looked ok and who knows, they may like the suburbs now. Foxes are already here.
We only fly for family emergencies, our immediate families live on three continents, none within driving distance, so it's always a tough decision, what is an emergency (birth, death, but how about graduation, xmas, birthdays ...). But other than that, trains or bicycle.

Bless said...

It sounds like you do what you can to live sustainably. I don't think I can say the same for myself. I haven't flown anywhere in several years, but, I drive rather than ride a bicycle, walk, take a bus, or a train. How lovely that you were able to see elk. :)

Live and Learn said...

I think no matter where you live there are interesting things to see locally. And as you pointed out, sometimes your legs won't take you where you need to go.

jozien said...

Thank you all and yes always something interesting! I do feel me and my Elk, (luckily they did not come to close because they will mow down my saskatoon berry bushes, who just burst in to bloom overnight.) But maybe i need to learn to look at more simple things to see beauty. As it is easy to appreciate the site of an elk.